The first Greek immigrants arrived in this area in the early twentieth century. In 1921 Archmandrite Parthenios Kolonos, from the Island of Patmos, came to Martins Ferry after previously established the parish of St. John's in Wheeling, W.V. He aquired the property at the present site and built the original building, which is now the office and classroom space.
In 1950, with the great work of many devout lay-people, the new extension was added comprising the present worship space of our Church and the fellowship hall beneath. This new Church was consecrated in June, 1967.
Since its inception our parish grew significantly, although today the congregation is smaller than at it's peak. It continues to strive to bear more effective witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as expressed in the apostolic tradition and worship of the Orthodox church. Our worship is primarily in English today, but we value and maitain the tradition that was passed on to us. The choir still responds with the Greek "Kyrie eleison" and the familiar hymns. The scriptures are read in the Greek that the apostles wrote them in, and then in English, and preached in English. We proclaim Christ incarnate, crucified and Risen, who will come again in glory to judge the heavens and the earth. The community welcomes new members regardless of background or ethnicity. We invite you to also participate in this witness by joining the worship and fellowship of our parish.